You are giving away your personal details on a company website and realized it doesn’t necessarily need your personal information. Do you think it is some kind of fraud or an identity theft that is been taken to rob you? Well, yes it could be that!
There is no surprise in the fact that online world has become highly unsafe and it is also one of the most common medium to cheat people and rob their personal information online. It encourages thefts that could take place through an e-mail, on social networking sites or on any company websites. Therefore, it’s vital that you maintain your online privacy just the way you protect your home from thieves and ensure a trouble-free surfing online.
Through this article, you can find the risks involved in working online and also few tips to maintain your privacy, especially while working through e-mails, on social networking sites or any other website. Here are the common risks involved in working online.
Beware of these risks while sharing your personal information online:
- Identity theft
- Phishing attacks
- Advanced persistent threats
- Hacking e-mail accounts
- Defamation of character
- Unsolicited selling and marketing
While you have to be aware of the risks involved in giving away your important information to just any website, you also need to have complete knowledge of how to keep your online identity safe and secured. By maintaining your privacy online, you can easily avoid identity theft and frauds, which are so common these days.
Here are some tips that you need to follow while working online:
- Before you think about anything else, make sure that you have the most effective and updated Antivirus and Antispyware software installed in your PC. It can help you protect your online data very conveniently.
- You have to be extra careful when shopping or banking online as robbery cases are more common on these two platforms.
- It is very important to log out of secured websites once you are done with your transaction, as simply closing the windows might automatically make your information accessible to hackers.
- You must avoid using Internet on a public Wi-Fi and more importantly avoid entering passwords or your important personal information to any e-mail, on social media platform, or on company websites.
- Make your password strong by adding numbers, characters, and alphabets in both lower and upper case and keep changing it from time to time, to make access difficult. You should also not reveal your password to other people no matter how trust-worthy that person is.
- You must check that your home and office Wi-Fi- network is secured and no suspicious person is using it for his or her own motives.
- Keep your personal and financial documents secured by not sharing them on suspicious platforms. Also, don’t disclose your personal information on any website without having the confirmation about the source.
- You must avoid being friend of people you don’t know and do not share any personal information of yours, especially on e-mails, social networks or any dating sites.
If you follow these tips carefully and protect your personal information-like your e-mail password, banking details or social security number from getting into wrong hands, then you could secure your online presence rather easily.
So, whether you are a new Internet user or a professional who works online day and night, the tips here can help you navigate the web in very safe and secured manner.